Tags Galore

Quotes From Here And There

Albert Einstein
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius - and a lot of courage - to move in the opposite direction.
Dylan Thomas
I fell in love – that is the only expression I can think of – at once, and am still at the mercy of words, though sometimes now, knowing a little of their behavior very well, I think I can influence them slightly and have even learned to beat them now and then, which they appear to enjoy.
Eddie Cantor
It takes twenty years to become an overnight success.
Edward Abbey
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds.
e e cummings
To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best night and day to make you like everybody else means to fight the hardest battle any human being can fight and never stop fighting.
Eyler Coates
We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually produce a masterpiece. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true.
Friedrich Nietzsche
Without music, life would be a mistake.
Gustave Flaubert
The one way of tolerating existence is to lose oneself in literature as in a perpetual orgy.
Going to the Opera is like making love; we get bored but we come back.
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
If I love you, what business is it of yours?
John Steinbeck
Only through imitation do we develop toward originality.
Lady Mary Wortley Montagu
There is no remedy so easy as books, which if they do not give cheerfulness, at least restore quiet to the most troubled mind.
Leonard Cohen
Ring the bells that still can ring;
Forget your perfect offering.
There is a crack in everything;
That's how the light gets in.
Montaigne
The greatest thing in the world is to know how to belong to oneself.
Paul Sweeney
You know you've read a good book when you turn the last page and feel a little as if you have lost a friend.
Peter Altenberg
I never dreamed of being Shakespeare or Goethe, and I never expected to hold the great mirror of truth up before the world; I dreamed only of being a little pocket mirror, the sort that a woman can carry in her purse; one that reflects small blemishes, and some great beauties, when held close enough to the heart.
Robert Frost
In three words, I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on.
There's no money in poetry, but then there's no poetry in money.
Satchel Paige
Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt. Dance like nobody's watching.
Thomas Mann
A writer is somebody for whom writing is more difficult than it is for other people.
V S Naipaul
The writer has only to listen very carefully and with a clear heart to what people say to him, and ask the next question, and the next.

My Personal Library


Mewwwwwwwww!!!!!!!!!!!!!


HURRAYYYYYYYYY and ROARRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!

Sarah Hina who blogs at Murmurs has wrongly accused me of writing well. The extent of her delusion is evident from the following thing she has written about me:
The Reluctant Writer
Abhinav is passion personified. Whenever I read his lovely writings, I sense his generosity of spirit, and a conviction that will never fail him. He's young, but (and I know this phrase has become trite) he truly is an old soul. He reminds me of the fact that we are all still students, sharing a common classroom.
Thanks a ton Sarah for making a wish come true so fast. I adore your writing and coming from you, this means the world to me.

Credit goes to Seamus Kearney of Shameless Words who instituted the award in the first place with the hope, nay the belief of fostering a network of bloggers who wish to make others' lives just that wee bit easier, profounder, and happier - who believe in the power of the written word atleast as much as they believe in themselves, if not more.

I think (???) that a writer ought to have the following in ample measure, for his own good self:
  1. Doggedness:- The most important one. Without it, your imagination may wilt and all your talent may get you nowhere. It is the pluck you develop along the way that helps you to make sense of a rejection letter but still not give up. It is your ability to beat down a door once someone closes it in your face. It is your ability to pitch a murmur in a sea of noise. And it is the hallmark of every writer who has made a worthwhile place for himself in the hearts of his readers amidst a whirlpool of pages.

  2. Tragedy:- Tragedy is the whiff that remains for a long time after the profound sense of loss that a work of art may inspire has passed away. A good writer revels in the glory of joy. But a great writer grieves in the gardens of melancholy. I do not intend to say that writers who do not celebrate tragedy are not at par with the ones who do. I'm just saying that they are missing the forest for the tree.

  3. Love:- Don't write words that do not enamor you and make you fall in love with them. Don't create characters who don't come alive for you out of the pages of your manuscript or the posts of your blog. It is a sin to do so. If something doesn't inspire you, there are very little chances that others will like it. Your opinion and conviction in what you write has to be your own private benchmark.

Five of my favorite blogs in no particular order are:-
  1. The Variegated Sky:- One of the most prolific blog writers, Aparna Kar got a book published out of her blog. Her posts are have this unsaid ability of being personal and universal at the same time. And sometimes she can be downright profound without dropping a hint. Her blog is a haven for some peaceful soul-searching and nostalgia. Appu, you deserve every bit of what you get.
  2. Aloi Reads:- She is one crazy girl. A book fanatic. Her byline says it all - '…deep inside I’m still that first grader holed up in the library at lunchtime!'
  3. Eating Poetry:- This is the place where prose is as forbidden as the prince in Rapunzel's tower. Go check it out for some stirring lyrical poetry.
  4. Youth Curry:- Rashmi Bansal is the editor of the youth magazine JAM which we, college-going junta enjoy. She has a way with both ridicule and compassion, and she must have inspired many through her posts that force one to sit up and take notice.
  5. Eat Almost Anything Atleast Once:- If a picture is worth a thousand words, this one is perhaps on the costlier side. A voyeur's delight, they take me to places I cannot dream of visiting in the near future. And they do so with a lot of journalistic aplomb.
That's all for now. The bloggers may collect their awards from The Shameless Lions Writing Circle. And don't forget to spread the goodwill!!!

15 Comments:

    Ah, yes, anyone reading your posts can tell I'm an idiot for making such an accusation.

    ;)

    I love your three writing requirements, particularly the last one. We should all follow our hearts down the paths of their choosing. Even if we are briefly all alone. Someone will join us eventually. True inspiration is too engaging, and intoxicating, not to.

    Great post, Abhinav. Keep roaring, my friend!

    On December 10, 2007 at 8:35 AM Anonymous said...

    Whoa, Abhinav! Congratulations (I love how you write). I on the other hand am most flattered. Will be spreading the roars around soon!

    @Sarah:- Thanks Sarah. After I wrote the post, I was into a mental tussle. Many other factors kept coming to my mind.

    Thanks for making me roarrrrrrr!!!!

    Someday if you agree, I wish to coauthor a novel with you (I have one in mind - I hope it sees the light of the day). Maybe when I'm older and more nuanced... Or maybe soon enough ;-)

    Thanks for everything Sarah. :-)

    @Aloi:- A Light Of Insight.

    Your blog is the sort of blog that the bookworm in me appreciates.

    Thanks for the praise. Let's send our roars through the blogosphere!!!

    I'm intrigued...

    Thanks Abhi :) Glad to get a genuine compliment. I agree with the three elements you listed that can inspire you. However, I 'd replace love with passion. Or rather- it's the child of doggedness and love. You write well when you love something, but when something chokes you to near death until you script it- you produce a masterpiece. I am planning to start working on my next book- a novel this time, after semester end. Hope I can ship it to you by the time it gets published, which might take a few years. Be there. And keep spreading the goodwill :)

    On December 10, 2007 at 10:32 PM Anonymous said...

    Congratulations Abhinav.

    I was moved by your exploration of the three elements of strong writing. Wise words, my friend.

    Congratulations!!!

    @Sarah: I hope it is as interesting to you as it is to me.

    P.S.:- I used to think that serious writers only eye print; blog is for the wannabes. But a couple of months on blogspot and I have been forced to drastically revise my opinion. I've met a lot of delightful encouraging writers here whom I would have never met otherwise.

    @Aparna: I'm waiting for the bestseller. Make it quicker than you think. ;-)

    Love cannot exist without passion in some way or the other. Love without passion soon turns to other wile things like routine, pity and obligation. And here I talk about love in a generic sense. It holds true for my love for a person, or a book, or a movie, or a piece of art, or a school of thought, or anything else under the sun. And when love does not find a place in your heart, the charade of loving that results is perhaps the biggest tragedy that can afflict man.

    As for doggedness, it does not directly affect your work but you need it to keep going further inspite of tempations, distractions and dejections.

    As for passion in writing, I am so lazy that I won't write something until it chokes me to near death. So laziness is the key to the impassioned outpurings of my soul. ;-)

    @Jason: Thanks for liking my post and taking time to let me know. Congratulations to you too!!! I wanna check out your five shameless lions in the world of blogs. ;-)

    @Church-lady: Thanks for that!!! I'm a big fan of yours. And I love the fact about you that you rove the waters of blogosphere trying to encourage other rovers on the way. I'm taking a bow.

    Thanks wanderer. Who told you I ever studied Computer Engineering? ;-)
    BTW, I've been doing nothing but wandering the bylanes of blogosphere for the past week. And it is you who gets to call himself a wanderer. ;-)
    P.S.:- It's strange when I've to call you that - a wanderer - and can't address you by your name even though I know it. But it's your call.
    Happy vacations buddy!!!

    On February 10, 2008 at 6:54 PM Anonymous said...

    hey abhinav, thanks a lot for going through my poem....and commenting as well...it is all the more an encouragement fr me..thanks..!!

    Er...Kanchan I seem to have forgotten when I did the good act. Perhaps you could remind me. Please do. I would love to rediscover your blog.

 

Copyright © 2007 | All Rights Reserved | Best Viewed In Google Chrome With A Resolution Of 1024 x 768